For these days, an egg dish is my breakfast of choice. I enjoy the forced patience required to make the perfect poached egg*.
I recently discovered the sublime yumminess of avocado toast.
Avocado Toast with Poached Egg and Prosciutto
1 slice whole grain bread
1 small ripe avocado
1 slice prosciutto
1 slice sharp cheddar cheese
1 poached egg
Chopped parsley or basil or cilantro to garnish
- Turn on your broiler to low.
- Scoop out the flesh of a small ripe avocado. Mash with a fork to desired consistency (I prefer it a little chunky). Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- On a lightly toasted slice of bread, spread the mashed over it.
- Lay down a thin slice of prosciutto.
- Lay down a slice of cheese.
- Poach the egg according to your own desired method.
- Without the egg, place the entire piece under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Once you've achieved the desired doneness for your egg and melted cheese, gently lay the egg on top of the cheese.
- Garnish and season with parsley, basil, or cilantro, salt and pepper.
*The "perfect"poached egg is pretty subjective. I like mine with thick yolks whose edges are just about to turn firm.