Corn and Black Bean Salsa
1/4 small white onion, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon chicken broth
1 bag frozen corn kernels, rinsed
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 whole tomato, chopped
Juice of 1 small lime
3 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
1 piece green onion/scallion, chopped
1 small avocado, chopped
Salt and pepper to season.
2 filets white firm flesh fish (I used barramundi)
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream or creme fraiche
8 fajita sized corn or flour tortillas, warmed according to package
Cooking tip: Prepare the salsa first so the flavors will have time to blend as you prepare the fish and tortillas.
- Turn the broiler on to high.
- Cook white onion in the olive oil until soft. Add black beans and chicken broth and simmer until most of the broth is absorbed. Pour beans into a mixing bowl.
- Spread the corn evenly on a jelly roll pan and broil for 10 minutes. Pour roasted corn into the mixing bowl with the beans.
- Add red onion, tomato, lime, cilantro and scallion in to the bowl and toss all ingredients together.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside. The canned beans still have some sodium despite the rinse, so use a light touch with the salt.
- Season the fish and broil for about 10 minutes.
- As the fish is cooking ,warm the tortillas according to the package instructions.
- Just before serving, add the avocado to the salsa and toss.
- Serve with warmed tortillas and sour cream or creme fraiche.
It looks like a lot of steps, but it's mostly easy prep work. The cooking part is quick and easy. I hope you enjoy it.